Friday, July 08, 2005

Canto Two

This time mostly from Allen Mandelbaum...

The pilgrim's fears almost prevent him from engaging in the journey...

34 Therefore, if I consent to start this journey,
I fear my venture may be wild and empty.
You're wise; you know far more than what I say.

37 And just as he who unwills what he wills
and shifts what he intends to seek new ends
so that he's drawn from what he had begun,

40 so was I in the midst of that dark land,
because, with all my thinking, I annulled
the task I had so quickly undertaken.

The sage counsels...

43 If I have understood what you have
said (replied the shade of that great-heartedone)
your soul has been assailed by cowardice,

46 which often weighs so heavily on a man
distracting him from honorable trials as
phantoms frighten beasts when shadows fall.

Input from the heavenly lady...

88 One ought to be afraid of nothing other
than things possessed of power to do us harm,
but things innocuous need not be feared.

The sage continues...

121 What is it then? Why, why do you resist?
Why does your heart host so much cowardice?
Where are your daring and your openness

The pilgrim's response...

127 As little flowers, which the chill of night has
bent and huddled, when the white sun strikes
grow straight and open fully on their stems,

130 so did I, too, with my exhausted force;
and such warm daring rushed into my heart
that I as one who has been freed began:

136 You, with your words, have so disposed my heart
to longing for this journey I return
to what I was at first prepared to do.

139 Now go; a single will fills both of us:
you are my guide, my governor, my master.
These were my words to him; when he advanced

142 I entered on the steep and savage path.

Thought...

The encouragement of a godly perspective can empower us to renew our resolve and enter the steep and savage path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home