Friday, July 08, 2005

Inferno Revisited--Canto One

A few thoughts via Henry Wadworth Longfellow...

The pilgrim's plea...

88 Behold the beast, for which I have turned back;
89 Do thou protect me from her, famous Sage,
90 For she doth make my veins and pulses tremble.

'The sage's (Virgil) answer...

91 Thee it behoves to take another road,
92 Responded he, when he beheld me weeping,
93 If from this savage place thou wouldst escape;

94 Because this beast, at which thou criest out,
95 Suffers not any one to pass her way,
96 But so doth harass him, that she destroys him;

96 And has a nature so malign and ruthless,
97 That never doth she glut her greedy will,
98 And after food is hungrier than before.

Thought...

When facing insatiable beasts of mighty power and cunning it might behove me "to take another road".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home